An information guide for landlords, tenants, and property managers
The Queensland Government has introduced a program offering rebates to help landlords and tenants install solar systems and share the financial benefits.
We all know the importance of energy efficiency and the impact that fossil fuels have had and will continue to have on our planet. This initiative by the Queensland Government is a trial, but we are hoping that it will be rolled out as a state-wide initiative before long.
We wanted to take the time to share some more information about this scheme and encourage you to get in touch to find out more about getting started with this scheme for your benefit.
After all, it is up to all of us to take the steps towards a cleaner, greener planet where we access natural energy sources and focus on renewables as opposed to waste and disposal.
Have a read through, and when you would like to know more, please call us on 1300 315 666 to find out more. You can also contact us online if you have any questions or enquiries.
Accessing the trial in your area
The Queensland Government is offering around 1,000 rebates of up to $3,500 for eligible landlords who want to install a solar system with monitoring technology. To access the trial, you must own a home in the Bundaberg Regional, Gladstone Regional, or Townsville City Council areas. In order to be eligible for the trial rebate, you need to have your system installed and your application submitted by 30 June 2020.
The benefits of the trial include:
- The rebate will cover much of the up-front costs of installing your solar and monitoring system.
- You can seek a fair rent increase with your tenant due to the added benefit of solar.
- Your tenants can access solar with no added costs.
- You’re contributing to the renewable energy future of Australia
Note that only one rebate will be available per rental property, but there is no limit on the number of properties you can apply for the rebate in if you do own multiple properties. As long as your property meets the eligibility conditions, you can make an application.
Information for landlords thinking about installing solar
It’s easy to get started with your application for the solar rebate scheme:
- Check your eligibility online at the Queensland Government website.
- Find a solar supplier and get a quote for the service install.
- Speak to your tenant about the solar system installation and have them sign a tenant consent form.
- Install your solar system and make payment.
- Apply for your rebate online.
At Sure Solar, we are an approved supplier in the Gladstone, Bundaberg and Townsville areas, so you can be assured of quality when you choose us for your solar installation.
Benefits for tenants
One of the key benefits of working with your landlord to install solar on your property is, of course, the reduction in your power bills. If you’re renting in Bundaberg, Townsville or Gladstone and are interested in lowering your power bill at no extra cost, then get in touch with your property manager or landlord to let them know about this initiative!
In return for the decrease in your power bill, you will pay a fair rent increase, and this should be set at a rate that is less than your savings from your solar power system.
You will benefit from:
- Saving money on your power bill, while at the same time paying more rent (but less than the savings, so you could end up better off by $300 per year)
- Access to solar monitoring portal information so you can see how your solar system is performing.
- Tips about accessing solar energy and how to maximise your benefits.
- A solar photovoltaic (PV) system that is yours to use at no up-front cost.
You can participate by contacting your landlord or property manager and agreeing to participate in this program. You will need to provide access and to work with your landlord throughout this process, but it’s a small price to pay when you consider the benefits!
Property managers interested in the solar rebate scheme
Are you a property manager in the Bundaberg, Townsville or Gladstone areas and think this is a good opportunity for your clients? It’s a great opportunity to set your business apart from other real estate agencies, showing potential clients that you are proactive and committed to the rent appeal of their properties.
You can get involved by:
- You can share a landlord fact sheet with your customers via your newsletter or through a letterbox drop.
- Helping your tenants to sign up for the trial and being aware of the eligibility criteria.
Ultimately, this is an excellent initiative and a great way to set your business apart from the rest.
Contact Sure Solar Today
We hope you have found this guide informative, and we are excited about helping you install a solar system on your property (or to receive the benefit of solar in your home) with an excellent rebate from the Queensland Government. At Sure Solar, we are committed to the environmental future of our country, and we believe this is a great step in the right direction.
Please call us on 1300 315 666 to find out more about this government trial and rebate initiative, or contact us online and we will get back to you.